I have to admit, I question why I run sometimes. And if I question that, my livelihood, motivation and a lot of my identity, is under threat.
And that’s when I go for a run and get crystal clear with what is the big deal is.
- It sucks when I start.
- The weather non-conducive for anything but fish. (seriously, my shoes are now always wet.)
- I’m not gonna win a prize, prove anything, or lose weight.
- Sometimes, I feel like an 80-year-old after a long week.
But then after the run. Whoa. My head lifts up, my shoulders go back and my stress is gone. And now I am hitting the trails of Issaquah, which is lighting up a whole new part of my brain in a way that is humbling and exciting all at the same time. It’s that extra layer of motivation under trees and through mud. So so much mud.
It’s so fun.
So just putting this out there for you. Question what you are doing and then go do it for the fun of it. You might fall in love with it all over again.
Here are 5 ways to have fun on your run!!
1. Recruit a running buddy, and talk about trashy celebrity gossip.
2. Wave to random cars. Especially when running on overpasses.
3. Blow kisses to restaurant patrons.
4. Random high 5 a runner, or ALL THE RUNNERS!
5. Sprint the last 50 feet of a run and start jumping up and down screaming ” I won! I won!!!”